Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bad Doggie!!! (Well, maybe just bored...)

We got Sebastian, our german shepherd, at the age of 3 months from the pound. He is the most friendly, happy, loving, smart and MISCHIEVOUS dog! (Pictured is the week we adopted him.) He's now 7 months old. When he was only 4 or 5 months old, we invested in the "wonderful" invisible fence. I swore, "Oh, no, he won't get out. He's smart. He knows he has to stay. We trained him by the directions."

All has been well for months, but there's one area where he passes through when I take the collar off, leash him & take him for a walk. This is the "safe zone" when his fencing collar is off. He's obviously translated this into, "I can get out this way whenever I want!"

After he's gotten out constantly for the past few days, we said, "Enough is enough," after two kids from the adjoining neighborhood called to say they found my dog. Pets--they are like kids because we spend so much money and time on them! The time is fine, but the money? Uh, it could be better. He's spoiled.

So, we've spent the whole day figuring out how to keep Sebastian home. (Don't want him to get picked up & taken to the pound, or worse--stolen!) First, I blocked off the area where he was escaping. Second, I brought him in to snuggle so he was getting plenty of attention. Third, I had Preston help me hold him down so I could shave the underside of his neck for the collar to work most effectively. Fourth, we bought a wading pool for him to play & cool off in. And, lastly, I went & bought some "Pupcorn," cheesy popcorn-type dog treats. He's also getting lots of playtime today, even though I'm not feeling well & was home sick from church today.

The funny thing is, I'd do anything to keep Sebastian around. He is truly part of the family; just like the three cats, who are the only other females in the house! (Gotta keep it even!)

No comments: